So, you have finally decided to do it! Whether it is a home flip, home repair, or you have decided it is just time to give the house a new look, you’ve made the decision to get that remodel underway.
Shortly after deciding however, you find yourself wondering where to start? What should take priority? Have no fear, we have compiled some of the top things that will add value to your home when remodeling. This way you can make an educated decision about what to do and where to begin.
If you are in the Temecula, Escondido, Hemet, Carlsbad, or Riverside areas, do not hesitate to contact a professional at Temecula Home Renovations to get your project underway. Reach us at 951-225-1570.
5 Steps to Add Value
Step 1: Add Beauty
- This is going to be exactly what you are thinking. One of the most cost efficient ways to get a slight increase in home value is to increase the aesthetic appeal through home staging. These are typically room remodels or updates. This can also apply to the exterior of the home and include things such as landscaping, siding replacement, or a deck addition.
Step 2: Add More Space
- It is no secret that homes are valued by square footage. Following this, it should make sense that if it is possible to add square footage to your home and there will be a guaranteed increase in home value. This is an improvement that will cost more than you will make back at the point of sale; however, adding a room, knocking down a wall, etc. are best undertaken if you plan to continue to live in the home for some time and would like to enjoy those benefits yourself. Then when it comes time to sell you will also be able to recoup some of that cost.
Step 3: Add Energy Efficiency
- Energy efficiency has become a huge sales point in everything from appliances to you guessed it, homes! This is for a good reason. This upgrade will not only earn you more at the time of sale but will reduce your utility costs for the duration of your residency in your home. Some of the frequent energy efficiency updates include: heating and cooling, windows, doors and siding, lighting, appliances, landscaping, and solar panel installation.
Step 4: Add Updated Systems and Appliances
- This one speaks for itself. Whether it is the roof, water heater, plumbing, dishwasher, laundry appliances, etc. The rule of thumb is if it is dated or not functioning at 100 percent, then go ahead and update or replace it.
Step 5: Add Technology
- The IOT (internet of things) and the connected nature of our world has not been lost in the home improvement space. Some of the most popular “smart home” gadgets that you may consider adding during your remodel are: smart thermostats, fire detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, cameras, locks, and lighting systems.
Applying these five updates could result in an extremely large boost to the return on investment of your home. Keep in mind that most of these things are not going to yield a profit but they will increase the value of your home. If applied over time, while you are still residing in your home, they will increase your enjoyment of the space and add to the future sales price.
15 Home Updates That Pay Off
When researching home remodel additions that add value I came across many helpful articles. The one above by Dave Ramsey stood out, as did this one. Much of the information is slightly redundant but what was extremely useful, was a more detailed list of specific things to upgrade from Home and Garden. I have included a list of the 15 items below:
#1 – Minor Bathroom Remodel
#2 – Landscaping
#3 – Minor Kitchen Remodel
#4 – Exterior Improvements
#5 – Attic Bedroom Conversion
#6 – Major Bathroom Remodel
#7 – Major Kitchen Remodel
#8 – Deck, Patio, or Porch Addition
#9 – Basement Remodel
#10 – Replacement Windows
#11 – Family Room Additions
#12 – Bonus Room Updates
#13 – Living Room Updates – Décor
#14 – Bedroom Updates
#15 – Living Room Updates – Walls and Floors
You will notice some crossover between the two lists provided. Dave’s lends some insight into a macro level view of the major areas to look at remodeling or updating to add value. The list of 15 updates provided by Home and Garden offers a more specific look at projects you can begin to schedule for your home. Once you have decided which project is the first for you, contact one of our Temecula Home Renovation specialists and allow us to bring your vision to life!