When you picture a house ravaged by fire, the damage is visible. However, what many Temecula and San Marcos homeowners are not aware of, is the extensive damage that is caused by smoke from the fire. While fire damage is easy to spot on burnt or melted objects, the smoke damage is not always visually apparent.
The smoke is permeated with toxic chemicals from the items in the house that were melted or partially burned. Carpeting, fabrics, particleboard, and paint are just a few items that emit these toxic fumes when they burn. Those fumes and the smoke from the fire penetrate all of the porous surfaces in your home, the HVAC ductwork, walls, and wood, leaving that awful odor and hazardous fumes. In addition, the acidic compounds in the smoke begin to destroy anything made of metal.
The Unseen Damage
Anything that has scorch marks or is singed needs to be replaced. But many people overlook some of the materials in their homes laden with chemicals after a smoky fire. Some examples include undamaged drywall, insulation throughout the house, and any padding below laminate flooring. These materials have absorbed the potentially harmful chemicals introduced into the smoke as items in the house burned.
Top Health Concerns
Smoke is toxic to humans and domestic pets. There is just no way of getting around this basic fact. The components in smoke from a house fire include:
- Carbon monoxide
- Carbon dioxide
- Other various toxins depending on the contents of the house
Unfortunately, the smoke leaves microscopic particles particulates in the air that will settle onto all the surfaces in the house, including clothing and fabrics. Breathing these particles can lead to severe health issues. The symptoms could start as just difficulty breathing. But over time could injure your sinuses and lungs. It is not uncommon to experience:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Poor oxygenation of the blood
While these conditions are severe for everyone, the results can be catastrophic for anyone with asthma, allergies, diabetes, or who is pregnant.
Eliminating Smoke Odor And Damage
The process of eliminating smoke from your home is very intense and in-depth. It is not as simple as opening the house for an air exchange. The smoke has permeated the structure of the house and must be addressed by professionals. The fire and smoke damage experts at Renovation Pros are here 24/7 to assist you when you call 951-225-1570.
Our team uses multiple methods of cleaning and neutralizing to remove the odor and potentially harmful toxins from your home after a house fire. The process can include alkaline cleansers, micro-filter vacuums, steam machines, chemical neutralizers, and thermal foggers. Our 30 plus years in the industry ensure that our staff will know the best methods to restore your home’s safety and sanctity after damage from a fire and toxic smoke. Call us at 951-225-1570 at your earliest opportunity to ensure the most successful elimination of the smoke damage to your home.